Hero MotoCorp on Monday launched Xoom, a 110cc scooter with corner-bending lights, bigger tyres and sporty look, to build its presence in a segment where it has just about seven per cent share in terms of unit sales.
Hero's former partner, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI), dominates the scooter segment, primarily due to Activa that is available with 110cc engine as well as 125 cc engine. HMSI owns about half of the scooter segment. Hero, on the other hand, is the market leader in the motorcycle segment with about 46 per cent share.
Scooter sales saw a significant growth of about 32 per cent in India in April-December period last year. "Look at the opportunity you have with industry-first features like the corner bending lights, or the segment-first features such as fastest acceleration and bigger tyres. The company's market share is an outcome. That (increase) will happen, if the consumer believes in our proposition,"
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.