The impact of Covid is palpable, given India recorded a sharp decline in children’s basic ability to read and calculate, reveals data from the Annual Status of Education Report (Rural) 2022, or ASER 2022. The proportion of children in standard VIII having the ability to read standard II level text declined from 76.5 per cent in 2012 to 69.6 per cent in 2022. Among students in government schools, the fall was from 73.4 per cent to 66.2 per cent in the same period.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.