A truck-sized asteroid that was discovered on Saturday — with the Earth in its sights — sailed harmlessly past us on Thursday, space scientists said.
Asteroid 2023 BU whizzed past without incident and back out into space. The rock came closest to the southern tip of South America on Friday, according to scientists.
At its nearest point, the asteroid was 3,600 kilometres from Earth’s surface — just a quarter of the height of many of the satellites that make our telephones and car navigation systems work.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.