Indian equities have fallen more than 2 per cent in January even as their Asian counterparts posted stellar gains. The benchmark Nifty50 fell 2.4 per cent — most among major global markets.
In dollar terms, India was the only market to log negative returns.
All the other major Asian markets posted gains during the first month of 2023. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng rose 9.9 per cent, South Korea’s Kospi gained 8.4 per cent and China's Shanghai Composite rose 5.4 per cent. The gains were even more in dollar terms, amid a retreat in the greenback. Most European markets also posted sharp gains.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.