Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of www-business-standard-com-nalsar.knimbus.com or the Business Standard newspaper
Login to the ICEGATE portal of the Indian Customs department and a chatbot named Vaani pops up to support the user — a new-age support for a centuries-old business. Indian Customs Electronic Data Interchange Gateway (ICEGATE) is the national portal of India’s Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), which provides e-filing services to the trade, cargo carriers and other trading partners electronically.
CBIC says that ICEGATE serves as an interface between trade users and the Customs department, and acts as a hub for exchanging information with external trading partners involved in international trading. According to the government, ICEGATE has aided in collection of customs duty worth Rs 1.3 trillion annually. The department has also implemented an internal automation of the Custom House for “a comprehensive, paperless, fully automated customs clearance system that makes the functioning of Customs clearance transparent and efficient
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.