In November 2022 (the latest month for which data from the Reserve Bank of India is available), individuals transmitted $1.92 billion abroad. This amounts to a scorching growth rate of 38.4 per cent compounded annually over the past decade.
“Currently, remittance for student education forms the largest chunk, followed by transfers for maintenance and gifting,” says TC Guruprasad, managing director, EbixCash World Money, and board member, EbixCash.
The pace of transfer tends to accelerate between January and March. “This is the period when admissions into many foreign universities take place,” says Sudarshan Motwani, founder and chief executive officer, BookMyForex.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.