Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament and former chief minister (CM) Digvijaya Singh recently said that the Congress will fight elections in Madhya Pradesh (MP) under the leadership of Kamal Nath and that he would be the CM face. This is the first time Digvijaya has named Nath as the party’s chief ministerial candidate in the 2023 state elections.
Until recently, the leaders of the party were issuing contradictory statements on this subject. Former Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) chief Arun Yadav and former minister Jitu Patwari both said, in separate statements, that members of the Congress Legislative Party would decide on its leader after winning the polls. Yadav also said that Nath was MP Congress Committee (MPCC) president and the party was contesting elections under his leadership.
Patwari, too, has opened a front. His statement that one person cannot remain in a particular post for more than five years has kicked up dust. He said that
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.