Cricketer Shafali Verma rewrote history on Sunday when the Under-19 Women's Cricket Team captained by her walked away with its first T20 World Cup.
It was both a personal and professional triumph for the 19-year-old from Rohtak, Haryana, who became the youngest Indian cricketer in 2021 to make a debut across formats.
Till Sunday, Indian women cricketers had not won a World Cup title in any format, though they had reached the finals on three occasions: the 2005 and 2017 Cricket World Cups in the 50-overs format, and the 2020 T20 World Cup. These outings involved the Senior Women's Cricket team.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.