In her maiden speech as the Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman informed that 'Naari tu Narayani' is our country's tradition and a committee with the same name has been formed to ensure optimal allocations of resources for the welfare of women. Before the next budget here's how far India has come when it comes to gender budgeting.
What is gender budgeting?
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) defines gender budgeting as a tool to achieve gender mainstreaming so as to ensure that the benefits of development reach women as much as men. The government publishes a Gender Budget Statement (GBS) every year along with the Union Budget. GBS is a reporting mechanism for ministries or departments to review their programmes from a gender perspective and present information on allocations for women.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.