During last year's festive season sales, homegrown marketplace Meesho toppled e-commerce giant Amazon to become the second-largest player in order share, behind Flipkart. This came on the back of a huge tier-2 and beyond market that has largely remained untapped until recently.
According to a report by consulting firm Redseer, 64 per cent of festive season shoppers, or about 125 million customers, came from tier-2 and 3 cities. As many as 60 per cent of the orders Meesho received during this period were from tier-4 cities and beyond.
And it was not Meesho alone. About 45 per cent of Flipkart's customer demand came from tier-3 cities and beyond while Amazon said the number of sellers receiving orders from tier-2 and 3 cities on its platform jumped 21 per cent during the festive sale. These numbers have only grown since.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.