Former Jammu and Kashmir governor Satya Pal Malik said on Monday that it was "wrong" to state that he was raising questions over the 2019 Pulwama terror attack only after demitting office.
His remark came in response to a question on Union Home Minister Amit Shah's recent statement that he was "levelling allegations after parting ways with us".
"It is wrong to state that I raised this issue when I was out of power," he told reporters in Sikar in Rajasthan, adding that he had raised it on the day of the attack.
Forty Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were killed in the terrorist attack on a convoy of security vehicles in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama in February 2019.
Malik, who was then governor of Jammu and Kashmir, has recently alleged intelligence failures and that the central government denied aircraft for the movement of security personnel.
To a question about the allegation that the CBI's recent summons to Malik was linked to his criticism of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government, Home Minister Shah said such a charge is not true as he was called by the probe agency earlier too.
Cong demands white paper on Pulwama attack, quotes intelligence failures
Satya Pal Malik not detained, came to station on his own: Delhi Police
Student sentenced to 5 yrs imprisonment for 'celebrating' Pulwama attack
2019 Pulwama attack: 'Why were CRPF personnel denied aircraft': Congress
CBI asks Satya Pal Malik to answer queries related to insurance 'scam'
Top headlines: WTO ICT levy dispute, Micron's semiconductor plant & more
251 antique artefacts brought back to India till date, says official
African Cheetah Uday died of cardiac arrest, others at KNP being monitored
PM Modi to lay foundation of Digital Science Park in Thiruvananthapuram
Here's why PM Modi calls evacuation operation in Sudan as Operation Kaveri
"I can say with complete conviction that the BJP has done nothing that needs to be covered up. If someone is levelling allegations after parting ways with us, then it should be evaluated accordingly by the media and people," he told the India Today in an interview last week.
In response to a question, Malik said Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is a "serious candidate" for the post of prime minister and that "if it is in his destiny, he will become one".
Asked about the BJP's prospects in the Lok Sabha elections next year, he said, "I wish them well, but in politics and elections, no one knows what will happen. The current situation is difficult for them, they will have to do some things."
Malik claimed that Prime Minister Modi's silence on the Adani issue will harm him. The prime minister should also speak on the Pulwama issue, he added.
In the context of Rajasthan where assembly elections are due later this year, Malik said that if the BJP projects Vasundhara Raje as its chief ministerial candidate, its chances of victory will increase.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)