Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of www-business-standard-com-nalsar.knimbus.com or the Business Standard newspaper
Do we, as a nation, care about Manipur, our easternmost state? It is right now seeing a crisis that no Indian state has faced since the breakdown of Hindu-Sikh relations in Punjab in the 1983-93 decade and the violent expulsion of the Pandits in the Kashmir Valley.
The answer to the question is “yes” and “not really” (says the latter with a big yawn). Let us try and explain this.
Imagine for a moment that a new insurgent group rose in Manipur and launched war on the Indian state and security forces, saying they were fighting for a sovereign state. They will immediately catch our attention. That will explain the “yes” in our answer.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.