Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of www-business-standard-com-nalsar.knimbus.com or the Business Standard newspaper
The UN Statistical Commission (UNSC) was established in 1947 (after a 1946 resolution). Whatever the UN’s Statistics Division does is under supervision of the UNSC. In turn, UNSC feeds upwards into the UN Economics and Social Council (ECOSOC). UNSC has 24 members. As with other UN bodies, there is a geographical quota and the current composition has five from Africa, four each from Asia-Pacific, East Europe and Latin America and the Caribbean, and seven from West Europe.
With that geographical composition, members are elected for four years and India has been elected, with effect from January 1, 2024. One doesn’t have to be a member or chairman to participate in UNSC discussions. After the 37th session held in 2006, in 2007 at its 60th anniversary UNSC brought out a compendium (the 54th session was held in 2023).
This compendium told us India was among the most frequent participants, having done that 37 times. There were 35 occasio
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.