Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of www-business-standard-com-nalsar.knimbus.com or the Business Standard newspaper
In a Netflix serial called Diplomat, the US ambassador to London advises the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (UK) that his country (UK) continue to serve as a “laundromat” for the money Russian oligarchs bring in. This piquant piece of dialogue reflects a general perception based on media and other reports that wealthy families from Russia, China, and India buy expensive residential and commercial properties in London and store huge amounts of capital in the UK’s overseas territories. According to a British Broadcasting Corporation report on August 3, 2022, some Russians and other high net-worth foreigners have used “English Limited Partnerships” to hide the identity of the true owners (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62410715). Given the continuing conflict in Ukraine, the UK government appears to be gradually making it inconvenient for Russian oligarchs to reside indefinitely in the country.
The following study of t
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.