Palanivel Thiaga Rajan (pictured) was largely considered one of the best finance ministers in Tamil Nadu’s recent history. It wasn’t simply his credentials (engineering and business degrees from prestigious universities in India and the US, including the Sloan School of Business at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2001) that drew attention to him, but also his practical experience.
PTR (as he is colloquially known) had attempted to turn around the state’s finances in the two years since the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) government took office in 2021.
He has a background in investment banking at Lehman Brothers and as senior managing director of global foreign exchange and money markets at Singapore’s Standard Chartered Bank. This gave PTR a ‘rockstar’ image at the time.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.