Chinese who reported on Covid-19 outbreak to be released after 3 years

Chinese authorities were preparing to release a man who disappeared three years ago after publicising videos of overcrowded hospitals and bodies during the Covid-19 outbreak

AP Hong Kong


Listen to This Article

Chinese authorities were preparing on Sunday to release a man who disappeared three years ago after publicising videos of overcrowded hospitals and bodies during the COVID-19 outbreak, a relative and another person familiar with his case said.

Fang Bin and other members of the public who were dubbed citizen journalists posted details of the pandemic in early 2020 on the internet and social media, embarrassing Chinese officials who faced criticism for failing to control the outbreak.

The last video Fang, a seller of traditional Chinese clothing, posted on Twitter was of a piece of paper reading, All citizens resist, hand power back to the people.

Fang's case is part of Beijing's crackdown on criticism of China's early handling of the pandemic, as the ruling Communist Party seeks to control the narrative of the country.

He was scheduled to be released Sunday, according to two people who did not want to be identified for fear of government retribution.

One of them said Fang was sentenced to three years in prison for picking quarrels and provoking trouble," a vague charge traditionally used against political dissidents.

Also Read

Covid curbs increased in China factory hub Guangzhou as outbreak balloons

Confusion and angst follow as China eases coronavirus restrictions

China's Covid curbs intensify as cases surge to highest since lockdown

Are the rising Covid-19 cases in China a worry for India?

Hockey World Cup 2023: Australia confident of reclaiming the Cup again

Six students shot, wounded at Mississippi house party, says report

Shooting kills 2 men, injures 3rd victim in Seattle park, says police

Chinese hackers outnumber FBI cyber staff 50 to one: FBI director Wray

Wall Street darlings, ESG-focused funds may be on the way out: Report

Nearly 80% of iPhone users own Apple Watch, highest share of any brand

The Associated Press could not independently confirm his release and could not confirm the details with the authorities.

Two offices of Wuhan's public security bureau did not provide a phone number of their information office or answer any questions. Phone calls to a court that reportedly sentenced Fang rang unanswered on Sunday afternoon.

A woman from another court that had reportedly handled Fang's appeal said she was not authorised to answer questions.

In early 2020, the initial COVID outbreak devastated the city of Wuhan, home to 11 million residents, in central China's Hubei province. Under a 76-day lockdown, its streets were deserted for months, apart from ambulances and security personnel.

At that time, a small number of citizen journalists tried to tell their stories and those of others with smart phones and social media accounts, defying the Communist Party's tightly policed monopoly on information.

Although their movement was small, the scale was unprecedented in any previous major disease outbreak or disaster in China.

But the information they posed soon got them into trouble. Fang and another citizen journalist, Chen Qiushi, disappeared in February.

Chen in September 2021 resurfaced on his friend's live video feed on YouTube, saying he had suffered from depression. But he did not provide details about his disappearance.

Another citizen journalist, Zhang Zhan, who also had reported on the early stage of the outbreak, was sentenced to four years in prison on charges of picking fights and provoking trouble in December 2020.

About eight months later, her lawyer said she was in ill health after staging a long-running hunger strike.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Apr 30 2023 | 5:07 PM IST

Explore News